Wallowing is a heartbreak stage that seems universal – male, female; young, old. For me, and most of the people I know that means a soundtrack. And it seems for every soundtrack song there is a line of lyrics that resonates, that becomes the evening mantra, so to speak. These are the lines that makes reach one arm from under the covers, breaking the fetal position just long enough to hit “Repeat.”
This isn’t a ranked list, just a list of 10 songs that come to mind as going well with the ill-advised wine chugging or the late night drives to nowhere.
1. Lost Cause – Beck – The title says it all for this one.
2. I Fall To Pieces – Patsy Cline – I fall to pieces/Each time I see you again/I fall to pieces/How can I be just your friend
3. 3 Libras – A Perfect Circle – so I threw you the obvious/to see what occurs behind the eyes of a fallen angel/eyes of a tragedy/oh well. apparently nothing./you don’t see me./you don’t see me at all.
This one is my favorite:
4. Hurt – Nine Inch Nails – And you could have it all/My empire of dirt/I will let you down/I will make you hurt
If you’re not into Trent Reznor, Johnny Cash covered this one.
5. Pictures of You – The Cure – there was nothing in the world that i ever
wanted more/than to feel you deep in my heart/there was nothing in the world that i ever wanted more/than to never feel the breaking apart/all my pictures of you
6. Black – Pearl Jam – I know someday you’ll have a beautiful life/I know you’ll be a sun/in somebody else’s sky, but why/Why, why can’t it be, can’t it be mine
7. Almost Lover – A Fine Frenzy – Goodbye, my almost lover/Goodbye, my hopeless dream/I’m trying not to think about you/Can’t you just let me be?
8. Ghost – The Indigo Girls – And there’s not enough room/in this world for my pain/Signals cross and love gets lost/and time pass makes it plain/Of all my demon spirits/I need you the most/I’m in love with your ghost.
9. Potions – Puscifer – Someone sang your name today/And a stranger saw me crumble/Haul my broken heart and shell away/Beggin’, bury me beside you
10. Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns – And this is my kinda love/It’s the kind that moves on/It’s the kind that leaves me alone